Saturday, December 20, 2008

Simplifying Assumptions in my posts

Something I should note with my posts is that, when I use a game or a rule as an example of some point I am making, I usually make simplifying assumptions that I may not spell out. For instance, in my last article, I did not mention that Champions has body damage, a form of long-term damage. Body damage can be a considerable annoyance when it occurs in Champions, but it wasn’t relevant for the point I was making, which was to analyze the concept and practice of total recovery of health between fights, without worrying whether any existing game completely meets that extreme. Simplification is particularly important with an game like 4th edition D&D, which is based on general rules with countless exceptions. When I describe the way healing surges work, I described them as representing health. Of course, D&D also has special ways of using healing surges to directly fuel offensive powers. But this would just be a distraction from my main point of how you can use the distinction between hit points and healing surges to create a combination of short-term and long-term health.

No comments:

Post a Comment